Getting Brownie film developed in Boston

Jocelyn asks:

So, if one got film for a Brownie camera, where in the Boston area could one get it developed?

She adds:




Some answers via Twitter

By on

Newtonville Camera

By on

Benjamin J Lipiecki writes:

Newtonville Camera does 120, and has very speedy turnaround. Lots of times I drop off and pick up the next day! Plus they're just a great local business to support - awesome service and services



I had a boss long ago who liked the place and would go with some frequency. He'd slur the name when telling people he was leaving the office to go to "Nudyville". We know what he meant but I'm sure there was plenty of people over the years who assumed the place was run by a pervert.


By on

You can have this film (and some other vintage/specialty varieties) developed by Colortek, which is located right by South Station. Very handy if you live or work in town and don't want to take a trek to somewhere like Methuen. They were very helpful a couple years ago when I was dabbling with a vintage camera I had acquired, and it looks like they still do this.

Brownie film- call Benjamin Franklin

By on

Call BFS Printing or Colortek- around the corner from each other near South Staion.

If they can’t do it, they’ll likely know someone who can.

Pictured camera takes 616

By on

The Brownie Target Six-16, took 616 roll film, see

If the film is actual 120, then it's possible that the camera could have been modified to take 120 spools, or the film was 120 that was respooled onto a 616 spool.

Old School Photo Lab/Photosmith in Dover, NH processes 120. They offer mail order service and has a retail shop.

Mail Order:

Retail (Photosmith):

Disclaimer: I have never used the services of Photosmith/OSPL.

Noticed that as well

I mentioned it to the original tweeter and she seems unconcerned, so I am as well.

I'm trying really hard not to be Well Actually Guy on this topic, but I do a lot of work with vintage film cameras, so this is right in my wheelhouse and it's killing me.

Baby Brownie Special

By on

I have a Baby Brownie Special that takes 127 film. 127 is still available today, but only from a couple of known manufacturers. I found that it costs more to develop and print 127 than it costs to buy the film.

Respooling on 127 backing paper

I've kept a couple of 127 cameras working for special projects by hanging on to the backing papers (and scrounging them wherever possible). Two rolls of 127 film are just about the same length as one 36 exposure role of 135, so if you have the backing papers and a blacked-out space to work in, it's not much harder than, say, respooling 120 onto 620 spools, just more steps.
Bonus: You can develop it easily at home in a standard 135 tank.
Minus: It's a bitch to print. But it scans well.