NorthEndWaterfront.com reports on the impending opening of the new Eliot School building at 585 Commercial St., which once served as headquarters for Mitt Romney's failed 2012 presidential bid.
how does a renovation of a relatively small building take 2 years?
AND... any truth to the rumor that the No Washington St Bridge project is stalled due to engineering issues with the foam blocks on the Charlestown side?
I was wondering why so much stuff around here is named Eliot and I guess it's this guy (and his descendants)
This particular school is certainly named after him.
• First missionary to translate the Bible, etc.. into the Algonquian languages and so accidentally created a dictionary of sorts for the language.
• Got some people expelled back to England during the Antinomian Controversy where the other side was arguing that basically if you were a 'saved Christian' the 10 commandments didn't apply to you (whaaaaaat?, guess I'll take his side there)
• Promoted the idea that government should be an elected theocracy (so, you know, Alabama)
• Was the pastor at First Church in Roxbury for 40 years.
• Was married to someone named Mumford so I guess created Mumford and Sons (his greatest sin)
• Founded Roxbury Latin.
• Fought for native American property rights
Help keep Universal Hub going. If you like what we're up to and want to help out, please consider a (completely non-deductible) contribution.
Copyright 2020 by Adam Gaffin and by content posters.Advertise | About Universal Hub | Contact | Privacy